All oils are fats (lipids).
Some oils are very unhealthy:
– “Vegetable Oil“ is probably the worst.
– Mystery blend of oils. And, avoid oils from corn, soybean, sunflower, safflower, peanut and grape seed oil. These oils are refined, unstable, and highly inflammatory.
Some oils are very healthy:
– Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the best.
– A recent study found that those with the highest intake of olive oil had a 15% reduced risk of heart disease versus those who never used olive oil. People who regularly cooked with it had a 41% reduced risk of stroke.
– Women following the Mediterranean diet supplemented with EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) had a 68% reduced risk of malignant breast cancer versus women eating a similar diet without EVOO.
– 3 Mistakes To Avoid With Olive Oil:
Buying ‘pure’ or ‘refined’ oil thinking it is higher quality. Pure or refined means processed, low quality oil.
– Buy cold processed, extra virgin olive oil.
Thinking ‘packed in Italy’ or ‘Imported from Italy’ means the oil is genuine Italian olive oil. Companies in Italy import low quality olive oil from all over the Mediterranean, combine and bottle it, and export it as a “product of Italy”.
– Look for a specific farm or region on the label, or “Grown, Produced, and Bottled” in a specific region of Italy.
Storing the oil in a clear container on the counter.
– Like any oil, olive oil oxidizes when exposed to oxygen, light, and heat.
– To keep it fresh, store in a dark container in a cool, dark place, at room temperature. Do not refrigerate!
I consider olive oil more of a medicine than a food, although technically not a medicine, but its virtues are so powerful. It could be more effective for heart health than many drugs.
My favorite olive oil is Bellucci 100% Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). It will cause a little bite in the back of your throat, but that’s good, it's due to high concentrations of polyphenols. Try to include about 2 tablespoons daily. Don’t waste it, best to take directly off the spoon.
[Connect on Social Media and sign up for my E-Newsletter]
[Choose from topics below to personalize articles fed to your home page]